Saturday, April 30, 2011
Friday, April 29, 2011
Thursday, April 28, 2011
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Apr. 28, 2011) – Philippine government peace negotiators ended talks with the country’s largest Muslim rebel group Moro Islamic Liberation Front on Thursday, but no significant accords had been reached by both sides in Malaysia.
It was the 21st rounds of peace talks between the two peace panels since negotiations for an end to decades-old insurgency problems in Mindanao Island where the rebels are fighting for self-determination.
Mohagher Iqbal, the MILF chief peace negotiators, said both sides agreed to continue the talks later in June in Malaysia, which is brokering the negotiations. The MILF earlier asked Manila to release its political prisoners, while the Aquino government expressed concern over renegade rebel leaders Ameril Umra Kato and Abdullah Macapaar who are opposed to the peace talks.
Both commanders had previously led rebel forces in attacking civilian targets in Mindanao after the Supreme Court rejected an earlier agreement by peace negotiators on Muslim ancestral domain, saying, the accord was unconstitutional. The 2008 attack had left dozens of people dead and wounded. (Mindanao Examiner)
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Apr. 28, 2011) – Communist rebels attacked a police station in the southern Philippines on Thursday, sparking a fierce firefight that left one raider dead, officials told the Mindanao Examiner.
Officials said another gunman was wounded and captured in the fighting as troops launched a pursuit operation on a band of New People’s Army in the town of Lianga in Surigao del Sur province.
The rebels also opened fire on a civilian vehicle wounding one of its passengers as they try to flee from security forces, said Major Eugenio Osias, a spokesman for the 4th Infantry Division.
He said policemen and soldiers repulsed the raid.
“There is a pursuit operation and General Felix ordered troops to get the raiders,” he said, referring to the local division commander, Major General Victor Felix.
Osias said soldiers have recovered an M16 automatic rifle left behind by rebels, who are fighting for decades for the establishment of a separate Maoist state.
The raid came as government and rebel leaders are negotiating for an end to bloody fighting in the country that had killed hundreds of thousands of people the past four decades. (Mindanao Examiner)
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Cebu Pacific holds P1,299 sale from Mindanao to Manila; offers Japan, Korea, China seats as low as P1,499
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - The Philippines’ largest national flag carrier, Cebu Pacific (CEB) offers a P1,299 seat sale for all its 10 routes from Mindanao to Manila from April 28-30, 2011 or until seats last, for travel from June 1 to August 31, 2011.
It said the P1,299 seats are up for grabs for those traveling to Manila from Butuan, Cagayan de Oro, Cotabato, Davao, Dipolog, General Santos, Ozamiz, Pagadian, Surigao or Zamboanga.
Those traveling from Manila to San Jose, from Cebu to Bacolod, Dumaguete, Iloilo, Surigao or Tacloban, and from Davao to Cagayan de Oro can also avail of P399 seats.
Meanwhile, P1,499 seats are available for those going from Manila to Guangzhou and Taipei. Manila-Beijing and Manila-Shanghai seats are also up for grabs for P1,999.
Those traveling from Manila to Osaka, Busan and Incheon (Seoul), and Cebu to Busan and Incheon (Seoul) can also avail of P2,999 seats. These seat sale fares are up to 57% lower than CEB’s year-round fares for these routes.
“CEB offers the lowest fares in all its routes, and North Asia is no exception. We currently operate 73 weekly flights to Greater China, 7 weekly flights to Taiwan, thrice weekly flights to Osaka in Japan and 18 weekly flights to South Korea,” CEB Vice President for Marketing and Distribution Candice Iyog, said in a statement sent to the Mindanao Examiner.
The airline remains optimistic about expansion in North Asia, especially with a passenger growth of 28% for its Greater China, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea routes in the 1st quarter (Q1) of 2011.
CEB flew a total of 381,513 passengers between North Asia and the Philippines in Q1 2011, compared to 298,485 passengers in Q1 2010.
Its Q1 2011 passenger figures went up 73% in Taiwan, 30% in Japan, 31% in South Korea and 23% in Greater China, compared to the same period last year.
“The airline is already set to launch its four times weekly Manila-Pusan flights on June 15, 2011, and is hopeful its applications to Japan will be approved to enable it to expand to cities such as Nagoya and Tokyo in the near future. CEB also plans to increase flights to Beijing and Guangzhou to accommodate passenger demand,” she added.
DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Apr. 27, 2011) – Philippine rescuers are now being aided by swarms of houseflies in locating buried bodies in a mountain village in Mindanao struck by landslide last week.
So far, 13 people had been rescued in Compostela Valley’s Pantukan town where 11 more are still missing in the landslide that buried at least 20 houses, mostly owned by gold miners.
On Tuesday, five more bodies were recovered from the site. And of the total 13 cadavers, two remain unidentified, said Army Major Rosa Maria Cristina Manuel, a spokeswoman for the 10th Infantry Division.
She said rescuers were relying on swarms of houseflies in their search for bodies buried under mud and boulders.
“The flies are a big help in the retrieval operations because they swarm around the area where bodies are buried deep in the mud and true enough the bodies are there,” she told the Mindanao Examiner.
Manuel said at least 110 houses were demolished on Wednesday by their owners after local government authorities in Compostela Valley’s Pantukan town ordered their evacuation barely a week after the tragedy struck.
Many of those who were evacuated have been brought to temporary shelters in the town. “Relief goods from different donors were distributed to the evacuation centers,” she said. (Mindanao Examiner)
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
It said the woman, Ramy Jacildo, who was a native of Bacolod City in the Philippines, had been repeatedly shot inside her brother’s home in New York by Vincent Russo, 26.
Jacildo was in the US to visit her brother in Central Valley. The two met last year while the woman was vacationing in Washington, D.C. Federal authorities are investigating the motive of the killing.
A Filipino newspaper, the Visayan Daily Star, reported on Tuesday that Jacildo was a teacher who taught autistic children in her hometown. It said the woman travelled to the US in March to visit her parents, Zenaida and Eduardo Jacildo, who had migrated there.
It also quoted an aunt of Jacildo as saying that Russo wanted to marry the woman, but she was not ready for it. Jacildo’s relative described Russo as “too possessive” and that she had discovered that the man had a temper.
“Russo told her they could get married and if it did not work out they could easily get a divorce, but my niece being a Filipina, did not believe in that, she was a religious person,” the newspaper quoted the woman’s relative as saying.
“Ramy was full of life, she was a ballet dancer, and worked with special children. She had gone to the United States as she had a sponsor for a job and most of her family is already living there,” Jacildo’s aunt said. (Mindanao Examiner)