ILIGAN CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Nov. 27, 2010) – Media groups have denounced an attempt to kill a Filipino radio broadcaster who was wounded in a failed assassination in the southern Philippines.
The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said gunmen attacked Randy Makiputin, a commentator for the Radyo Abante, in Bukidnon’s Valencia City.
The 39-year old journalist was shot in the head late Friday by assailants on motorcycles. No other details were made available by authorities on the attack and the motive remains unclear whether it was related to his job or not.
“Based on police reports, Makiputin sustained a lone gunshot wound on the back of his head. Attending physicians at the Sanitarium Hospital in Valencia City has already declared him out of danger, police said,” a bulletin sent out by the media watch dog.
It said four gunmen were involved in the attack and that police forces were sent to track down the assailants. No individual or group claimed responsibility for the shooting, but dozens of journalists had been killed in gun attacks in the Philippines which has become one of the world’s most dangerous places for reporters.
The attack came three days after Philippine and international media groups commemorated the first anniversary of the infamous “Maguindanao massacre” in the southern Philippines where 57 people, including at least 32 journalists, had been brutally murdered in the country’s worst political killings blamed to the powerful and influential Muslim clan in the troubled region. (Mindanao Examiner)