Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Two JI bombers captured in Sulu province

Sulu provincial police chief, Superintendent Muhibuddin Amil Ismail, points to suspected terrorists Sulayman Muin and Juhan Alimuddin, who were captured in the town of Patikul on Wednesday, May 27, 2009. The two were tagged as among those who bombed the convoy of Sulu Governor Sakur Tan on May 13 that left 10 people wounded. Tan escaped the assassination attempt. (Mindanao Examiner Photo)

Sulu Governor Dr Sakur Tan, Al Haj. (Mindanao Examiner Photo)

SULU, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / May 27, 2009) – Police have captured two suspected terrorists implicated in the failed assassination of a Philippine governor, officials said on Wednesday.

Officials said the two men, Juhan Alimuddin and Sulayman Muin, were captured after a weeklong surveillance in Badjao village in the town of Patikul late Tuesday. Two other suspects managed to escape.

Alimuddin and Muin were tagged as among those who bombed May 13 the convoy of Sulu Governor Sakur Tan in Patikul town. Tan survived the assassination attempt, but a town mayor, Hatta Berto, of Pandami, and nine others were injured in the road bombing.

Tan just came from his office and on his way home when a motorcycle bomb exploded near his vehicle. The attack was condemned by many civil groups in Sulu.

Superintendent Muhibuddin Amil Ismail, the Sulu police chief, said a hand grenade, .45-caliber pistol and a .38-revolver were recovered from the Alimuddin and Muin, who are believed to be local members of the Indonesian terror group Jemaah Islamiya.

“We have been operating the past days and it finally paid off with the capture of the two terror suspects. We are still tracking down the others involved in the attack against Governor Sakur Tan,” said Ismail, who led the operation in Patikul.

He said civilian informants provided intelligence and helped in the capture of the suspects. “Citizens are themselves providing us information about the terrorists and the operation in going on to get the other suspects,” Ismail told the Mindanao Examiner.

He said the two suspects would be handed over to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Manila.

The capture of the men came after PNP Director General Jesus Verzosa organized the Task Group Elected Government Officials.

Verzosa last week offered P500,000 bounty for the capture of those behind Tan’s failed assassination. It was unknown who ordered or masterminded the attack against Tan. (With a report from Nickee Butlangan)

No comments: