COTABATO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Feb. 28, 2008) – A suspected homemade bomb exploded in the southern Philippines, killing one man and wounded at least six more, police and military reports said.
The blast occurred in the middle of a crowd watching a street dance in General Santos City late Wednesday. No group claimed responsibility for the blast, but police is investigating whether the lone victim was the bomber after a waist bag believed used to hide the explosive had been recovered from his body.
Other reports said a cell phone was also found in the bag and believed used to trigger the explosion. However, it was not immediately known whether the explosion was accidental or a suicide attack.
Last month, three people were killed and 22 others wounded when a homemade bomb also exploded outside the Philbest Canning Corporation in General Santos City.
No group also claimed responsibility for the bombing, but previous attacks had been blamed by Philippine authorities to the Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiya, including the country’s largest Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. (With a report from Mark Navales)